St. Peter's Cathedral

Saint-Pierre Cathedral is located in the Écusson, in the heart of the historic district of Montpellier. The Gothic-style building was erected in the middle of the 14th century, became a cathedral in 1536, and was heavily altered during the 19th century. It was classified as a historical monument in 1906.

The Atelier de Ricou was entrusted, after a call for tenders, with the uncovering and restoration of the mural painting of the tympanum - including the arch - of the Chapelle Deydé (now the Chapelle Saint-Roch), the existence of which was revealed during electrical work in 2017.

The decoration dates from the 17th century. Attributed to Jean de Troyes, it represents allegories of faith on either side of a cartouche bearing the Tetragrammaton in front of a trompe l'oeil architecture. It was commissioned by Jean Deydé (1617-1687), a councillor at the Court of Auditors, Aid and Finance, who wished to inscribe his family in eternity by adorning the chapel with exceptional finery: polychrome marble, paintings and sculptures by the best artists of his time.

The ensemble, dismantled 250 years ago, was the subject of an exhibition in parallel with our restoration, at Montpellier's Musée Fabre: "De Marbre Blanc et de Couleur - La Chapelle Deydé de la Cathédrale de Montpellier", from November 16, 2019 to March 15, 2020.

For more information:

- – Musée Fabre website and Catalogue of the exhibitionThe appearance of a mural decoration on the extrados of the entrance arch to the Chapelle Deydé", by Hélène Palouzié, Deputy Regional Conservator of Historic Monuments for the Montpellier site - DRAC Occitanie, for further reading. here

- La Chapelle Deydé: découverte et restauration d'une peinture exceptionnelle", film directed by Jean-Noël Duval - in French only Shifts & Decibelsto be seen here

Year 2019 - 2020
Place Montpellier, Hérault
Project owner DRAC Occitanie, Hélène Palouzié curator
Project Management Pierre-Jean Trabon, ACMH
Protection Historical Monument